Saturday, April 12, 2008

YET ANOTHER POST????

I CANNOT BE STOPPED!!!  Oh here's the deal.  Remember this, muddling is great!  Fresh fruit is a necessity and no matter what someone says, use decent tequila!!


So, a couple of years ago I had an opportunity to work in a hotel in Valle de Bravo, Mexico.  This small hotel had no idea of how to make a margarita!  tequila, yes!  Sanguita, of course!  But I really learned that margaritas are a drink for the States, not Mexico.

So, they used a sour mix concentrate, some ice and the tequila....  It was the most disgusting drink, so tart!!!  YUCK!

And, obviously we had to have a class on how to make a margarita.  This town was so small that they had to drive 3 hours into mexico city just to buy produce!  So, obviously we kept it simple.  We just added some flash....

I won't go into the normal structured recipe card for this one.  Not that I can't but geez, this thing turned out soooooo good, that I don't want to give all my secrets away!  start with 1/2 of an orange and 1 lime.  Cut them and throw them into a skillet over a medium flame.  Add 1/2 cup of sugar and 1/4 cup of water.  (basically making a citrus sugar).  Heat over the flame until the fruit has caramelized.  Then add 1oz of Grand Marnier and flame!  Flambe like in New Orleans, BABY!!  

Remove from the flame and place into a mixing cup.  Add ice and tequila and shake like crazy.  Strain and serve into a martini glass.  This stuff is sooo good that I created it on a monday night a 5pm and by 9pm had served 30 of the damn things!  Obviously on Tuesday I trained the whole staff so that I could get others to make the drinks.  By wednesday I created two options:  In the bar or tableside.  Tableside was 200 more Pesos or an additional $1.90.  In the bar, I premade the "citrus bar sugar" so it really went quickly.  I didn't mind charging the 700 pesos for the drink when a normal "crazy sour and disgusting" margarita was only 230 pesos..... Some of the guests freaked, but after they tried it, they know why they paid and gladly agreed to do so.



No comments: