Thursday, April 10, 2008

Great margaritas start with great ingredients

Do me a favor.  Throw out anything that says "margarita mix" or "sour mix" if you want to make great margaritas.  Here's the secret and I cannot believe I'm already saying this.  But, if we're going to get anywhere with this blog, we might as well start with the secret to the ultimate margarita.


Use fresh ingredients, period.  Whew, I feel better now that I've gotten that out of the way.  Here's another one:  don't use cheap tequila if its supposed to be part of the flavor profile.  What I mean is that if you go to a bar and order a Frozen Strawberry Margarita, you won't taste the tequila with all that food coloring and sugar that's part of the drink.  In fact, when I first started bartending, I was always told this bit of advise.  Do not put alcohol in the phu phu drinks.  Save the liquor for someone who's going to tip!  

Anyways, I've gotten off track.  Fresh ingredients are key and a decent tequila is helpful.  Personally I like something like Hornitos or Cazadores, nothing too pricey but still better than the bubble gum flavor of a Sauza gold.   And, if you can, substitute sugar or bar syrup with Blue Agave Nectar.  It mixes extremely well, has all the sweetness of sugar, and sounds cool.

So, here's the first recipe on the search for the ultimate margarita:
I called it the classic since its basically a twist on the original margarita made in Texas so many years ago.
Ingredients
Juice of one lime and 1/2 of a lemon
2 oz of a kickin' gold tequila
1 1/2 oz of blue agave nectar
1/2 oz of cointreau
Preparation
Cut lime in half and squeeze into mixing cup.  You can use a juicer if you want to wimp out.
Squeeze the lemon into mixing cup
Add tequila, agave nectar, cointreau and 1 cup of ice
Shake, do not stir for 33 seconds!  so that means you have to have a top of some sort.
Pour into a beverage glass and garnish with a lime wedge.

Personally I'm not into the salt when you use fresh ingredients, but feel free.  Its your drink!


1 comment:

Sammy Miami said...

My recipe:
1 cup gold tequila
1 cup triple sec
5 limes juiced
1 lemon juiced
blend in blender
serve over ice.

Try it out let me know what you think. It is a little tough on the first sip but then it tastes absolutely incredible.